Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default No power ...

On 01/20/2016 08:19 AM, wrote:

Another thought is using 4 inch corrugated plastic drain pipe buried
underground to carry the exhaust away. Could also be used to silence
the intake. But a lot of work for an emergency generator.

You might be surprised at how little of the noise comes from the
exhaust. At least, that the way it is with my Coleman Powermate
5000 Watt (Subaru Robin engine). I rigged up a length of flexible
exhaust pipe and a decent muffler, and absolutely could not discern
any difference in the noise level. The noise mainly comes from the
vibration of the whole machine. And yes, it's loud, though my
neighbor says he doesn't notice it. (I had it running for 3 days
continuously after a bad storm.)