Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Muggles[_7_] Muggles[_7_] is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

On 1/20/2016 4:12 PM, nospam wrote:
In article
,
Muggles wrote:

People are going to do stupid things when they drive, and get distracted
by something eventually. I don't know if the solutions is to totally
ban the usage of any phone while driving regardless of the technology,
or adapt to the technology as it makes cars safer to drive.

the solution are autonomous vehicles, at which point people can do
whatever the hell they want while the car does the driving, and far
safer than any human can do.

While autonomous vehicles may be practical in the future, it'll be quite
a few years before that technology is advanced enough for practical
implementation. Maybe it'll be something we can actually practically
use within the next 20 or 30 years.

it's *already* starting to appear in limited forms and within 5-10
years, autonomous vehicles will be more than a curiosity.

I'm guessing longer than that before they are anything but in the
testing phase, but who knows.... It could happen sooner.

highway driving is likely to be first, which is comparatively much
easier than city traffic. the person can then take over at the
destination exit and finish the trip.

Dumb blond says to cop: "BUT officer! it's an autonomous car - it drives
itself! Why did it crash when I got off the highway??"

Until that happens, though, the best technology that's out there is only
installed on new vehicles, and not everyone can actually buy those cars.
I don't have any research numbers, but I'd guess a very small
percentage of people can actually afford to even buy vehicles with the
current smart technology.

it'll be standard, just like abs brakes, airbags, etc. are now.

I wonder if it'll be affordable?

I'd also want to know how those people involved in developing the
technology have addressed the possibility of maliciously hacking
vehicles, and all the issues involved when software is in charge of
controlling a 2000 pound rolling weapon?

nothing is perfect. what matters is that the collision, injury and
fatality rate is lower than it is now, which isn't all that hard to do.

If the purpose of an autonomous car isn't to eliminate collisions and
injuries, is it going to be worth the expense just to change the stats a
little?

with drunk driving, driving too fast for conditions, unsafe vehicles
(bald tires, worn out brakes, etc.), distracted driving and human error
completely eliminated, even with an occasional hacker, you're still
*way* ahead.

--
Maggie