Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Your Name[_4_] Your Name[_4_] is offline

Default They finally found proof texting bans - does it make a difference

In article
,
Muggles wrote:

On 1/20/2016 1:32 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Locally there was an incident a teenage boy was playing with smart phone
in bed and fell asleep in the night, some how the phone started burning
under blanket causing injury to the boy. Anyone who says using handhelp
device while driving is safe is an idiot. Sooner or later distracted
driving will kill self or some one or if lucky will come out alive from
accident caused by distraction. I encourage and give my kids cars with
manual shift which requires more attention. I always drive using paddle
shift on my vehicle. Is there such thing as forever lucky? Monkeys do
fall from trees.... Some parts of Canada fine for distracted driving is
700.00 and they still do. It's an addiction. My route to downtown from
home is via freeway or ring road. I see guys/gals reading, doing make
ups, drinking coffee/eating, yakking/texting on cell phone, etc. They
are menace on the road.

I've seen similar things going on when people were driving. It's crazy
when they're going 70mph on the interstate and trying to put on mascara!
I don't get why people need to use a cell phone by hand, either, when a
hands free device and wi-fi technology allows people to still function
and keep both hands on the steering wheel.

I don't think people are going to stop using cell phones while driving,
either, so at least they could be required to use the safest options out
there. There are constant distractions aside from cell phone use, so
we're already used to being distracted. Having a conversation with a
passenger, or even listening to a radio is equally distracting as using
a cell phone to carry on a conversation.

Having a cellphone conversation has already been proven to be more
distracting / dangerous than having a conversation with a passenger.
This is partly because a passenger in the car can see what's happening
and so knows when to shut up, when to help out (e.g. looking one way
while the driver is looking the other when leaving a side road), etc.

IF we're going to debate about how cell phone use is dangerously
distracting, why aren't we making a fuss about the technology being put
in new cars where our phones can be synced with the radios so people can
use hands free voice calls more safely? Isn't that distracting, too, but
evidently not enough to warrant banning it's implementation into new
vehicles.

People are going to do stupid things when they drive, and get distracted
by something eventually. I don't know if the solutions is to totally
ban the usage of any phone while driving regardless of the technology,
or adapt to the technology as it makes cars safer to drive.

The ridiculous thing is that car manufacturers themselves are
moronically trying to add even more distractions. They are introducing
more and more gadgets and "smart" / wi-fi functions to cars. Some
imbecile at the recent CES expo was going on about how the driver would
be able to use their car's wi-fi abilities to turn on the heating at
home before they get there, etc. :-(