Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No power ...

wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 09:59:36 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 08:48:09 -0600, Robert Nichols
wrote:

On 01/19/2016 04:44 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I took a chance on the HF 2200W inverter generator #61169,
$399.99
with a coupon. Hopefully it will be unnoticeably quiet from the
street
under my usual wintertime load of less than 200W and able to run
the
A/C or microwave if we have a summer hurricane outage.

Good luck trying to start an A/C with that little inverter
generator.
I also see no mention that the output is true sine wave, so some
computer power supplies might not be happy with the output
waveform.

I'm curious about that. I've never investigated those power
supplies,
but I thought that the output from battery batckup, like my APC, was
square wave or something jagged, anyway. I've never put a 'scope on
mine but have thought about doing it.

Anyway, for anyone experienced with these power supplies, what's the
story?

Switch mode power supplies are pretty well power quality agnostic
these days, as long as there are no large spikes. They run just fine
on modified sine wave (AKA stepped ) or quasi-sine wave units and
don't seem to be bothered by the cheap square wave units either.
Square wave MOGHT reduce lifespan - but they still work.

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations:
http://forum.solar-electric.com/disc...wave-inverters
http://electronics.stackexchange.com...r-for-a-laptop

-qrm