Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No power ...

"Robert Nichols" wrote
in message ...
On 01/19/2016 04:44 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I took a chance on the HF 2200W inverter generator #61169, $399.99
with a coupon. Hopefully it will be unnoticeably quiet from the
street
under my usual wintertime load of less than 200W and able to run
the
A/C or microwave if we have a summer hurricane outage.

Good luck trying to start an A/C with that little inverter
generator.
I also see no mention that the output is true sine wave, so some
computer power supplies might not be happy with the output waveform.

I bought and repaired a ratty 3 KW Coleman specifically for the motors
in my Maytag and air compressor, both of which jump over 30A on an
Amprobe when starting. The A/C isn't as bad even when stalled by
turning it off and quickly back on, which I forgetfully did after
hosing the coils in the driveway. That genny has little to damage with
an overload because it "regulates" voltage with the engine governor.
It just bogs down until the breaker trips.

These Dell laptops and my Hitachi monitor and Vizio TV all work fine
on the +/- 160V square waves from cheap inverters. I faked a Dell
input jack with brass tubing and checked a power brick with a resistor
load first.

-jsw