Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No power ...

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 11:53:47 PM UTC-5, Ed Huntress wrote:

We can pick up some lessons from the way they enclose marine engines
in boats, and backup generators for large buildings. Some of this also
applies to today's cars, which use some of the same principles.

There are three basic principles: Increase the mass of the enclosure;
use non-ringing materials that are inherently resistant to vibrating;
and kill the energy with friction.

May you have peace and quiet...

--
Ed Huntress

Reminds me of machine bases consisting of a weldment with cavities filled with crushed granite in epoxy.

Another thought is using 4 inch corrugated plastic drain pipe buried underground to carry the exhaust away. Could also be used to silence the intake. But a lot of work for an emergency generator.

Dan