Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No power ...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:44:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Build a double baffle box around it to quiet it down, Jim.
Add a hose for clean air intake. 3-sided+top boxes with carpeting
tacked on both sides works unusually well. A larger one over the
other makes the double. A third larger one really quiets things.

I did make one, from fireproof acoustic ceiling panels rimmed with 2"
strips of old steel pool liner bent into U channel. I also made an
extended muffler from fiberglass pipe insulation.

The box cut the sound level about in half from the back side and
reduced its pitch, the muffler showed that the factory one is quite
effective already and the sound radiates from the engine instead. The
box can't enclose the generator too much because it needs a free flow
of cooling air.

-jsw