Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No power ...

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:44:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Monday, January 18, 2016 at 4:48:20 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

How loud is it?
-jsw

Not all that loud. If it were outside and I were inside with the
windows closed, it would be barely noticeable by me or my neighbors.

Dan

I took a chance on the HF 2200W inverter generator #61169, $399.99
with a coupon. Hopefully it will be unnoticeably quiet from the street
under my usual wintertime load of less than 200W and able to run the
A/C or microwave if we have a summer hurricane outage. Ideally my
APC1400 UPS will accept its output quality and recharge the batteries.
It rejects AC from the engine-governor-regulated Colemans even at its
lowest sensitivity.

Build a double baffle box around it to quiet it down, Jim.
Add a hose for clean air intake. 3-sided+top boxes with carpeting
tacked on both sides works unusually well. A larger one over the
other makes the double. A third larger one really quiets things.

I drained and examined the residual factory oil and found a few shiny
flecks and one larger black one. The ones I checked weren't magnetic.
I haven't filtered it yet to concentrate them. The oil is dark enough
to suggest they continually reuse it.

Aluminum flash from the case, probably. New oil is always in order
for new machines, even if they come oiled up.

There appears to be some sort of filter or strainer above the oil
drain plug, pressed in by a spring that makes reinstalling the plug a
two oily hand job. The exploded diagram calls it a "Fuel Filter Asm."

HF usually has nitrile gloves on sale for $6/100. They're excellent.
I love the little white 3mils. They're as thin as latex (for easy
dexterity) but are 5x stronger and much more solvent resistant.

Now, Arctic weather permitting, I have to give it a thorough checkout
while it can be returned.

We warmed up to 50 today, amid rainstorms.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;