Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_2_] OFWW[_2_] is offline

Default Grizzly vis a vis Tormek?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 20:34:37 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:49:37 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/18/2016 11:46 AM, OFWW wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2016 22:29:50 -0600, Leon wrote:

OFWW wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 01:52:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 5:36:12 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

I am going to use a Worksharp 3000 along with the WorkSharp Ken Onion
knife sharpener.

You know how much I appreciate a fine edge. I grade my edged tools on
the service I expect them to provide, from opening paint cans to shaving.

So for what it is worth, those are two excellent pieces of gear. I have
seen screamingly sharp mirror edges put in tools with both of those
systems. Good choices. I have almost bit on the Worksharp 3000 several
times, but in the end just go back to a Wa****a/Arkansas soft and a
strops when I need a fine edge. I sharpen my chisels free hand and they
will shave if that is the edge I am after, but will readily admit the WS
3000 gets a better edge, and in a shorter time with less effort than I can get.

A word or warning on the KO WS. Another great system, but sacrifice
those old kitchen knives first when learning the ins and outs of that
machine. It can be very, very aggressive even with the finer belts. I
KNOW you are quite conversant in the use of instructional videos, but
just in case you haven't seen this one from Knife Center (great guys to
buy knives from!)here is a link, as well as the attendant videos they
always stack on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I4sGdIE27Y

As we spoke at Christmas, I probably spend too much time on Bladeforums.
The guys that have the KO WS love it. Many report shaving edges for
the first time in the history of their knife ownership. Just remember,
you knives won't be ground like a chisel on the WS, which are ground at
a certain angle to your satisfaction.

The KO WS is actually a mini "slack" belt sander that produces CONVEX
edges. They have guides on the tool to give an idea of how far back you
push the edges on a convex edge, but regardless of the degree of angle
you select you will still have a convex edge. Personally, I prefer a
convex edge on my knives with the exception of one or two specialty
blades. Speaking from my personal experience in sharpening, they hold an
edge better for me and are easier to maintain since I freehand sharpen,
which by its nature creates a convex edge. So the whole slack belt
genre is right in my bailiwick.

Just a warning, seņor... don't start out with your good stuff. I have
seen too many cases of folks grinding their knives down to nothing
trying to get even edges, and worse, burn the metal (ruining the temper)
because they didn't appreciate how efficient/aggressive that little
machine actually can actually be. I will be interested to see what you
think of it when you get to grinding with it.

Robert

Go to Oregon and get your commission!

Reading the posts this morning, and a quick check on Youtube videos
regarding the Knife Sharpeners, I was sold.

Got the Knife and tool sharpener with the fixed degree's and narrow
belt. Woodcraft had it for 69.95 everyone else @ 89.95 locally.

Started out on the wife's kitchen knives, serrated steak knives, etc.
Something like 20 + Knives in less than an hour and a half and wore
out one 220 grit belt. Used a manual strop on those.

Then did my Chicago Cutlery favorites 220 to the 6,000? to my manual
strop. My Chef's knife was the dullest and the angle just wasn't quite
right on it, so it required a little longer, but now they all feel
like they did when I first got them some 40 years ago.

Did a pocket knife and restored a broken tip, plus a cheap knife, big
blade, my son had in his car.

I have spent a whole lot more money on other sharpeners, individually,
over the years but to me this one is a keeper, easy to use, just watch
out so you don't round off the tip, and watch the videos.

The more expensive one just looks better, higher quality and a 1"
belt. But I personally did not like the floppy degree settings,
beside, to just check it out the cost at 150 bucks compared to 70 it
was a no brainer, and a keeper for sure.

Thanks for the heads up. In just over 2 hours I did what previously
would have taken a few days a few hours at a time.

Leon got me hooked and you reeled in the line.

Thanks a bunch.

Figure $5 per knife to have them sharpened. Pretty cool, eh?

Sure is, and I told that to my wife so the sharpener comes out of
household expense, not my tools money.

:~). Sounds good however I may sharpen the lawn mower blade with it
too, on the mower. I did however use a file the last time I sharpened
the mower blade and that went amazingly quick.

I bought one of the grinder kits from HD for mine, but in Calif we
have a lot of rocks in some area's and my reel was hammered pretty
bad. I got the blade done ok, and quit there. I prefer the reel type
since it will cut damp grass and for several other reasons.

One of my regrets is that I didn't grab my Dad's Simplicity tractor when
he died. He had the reel and sickle bar mowers for it, as well as the
brush saw, plow, and a few other accessories. That was a nice piece of
equipment that I didn't really appreciate until it was gone.

OUCH! But I'd bet you had good reason at the time.