James Olson

Default Dead Royal HSUTRLX-19 monitor

I bought this 19-inch monitor from CompUSA in Jan 1999. A moderate PC user,
I frequently use Alt-Tab to flip between a 1280x1024 Windows desktop and a
DOS prompt. On that particular day in April 2003, I had the monitor on for
over an hour. I flipped from Windows to the DOS prompt, got the normal
relay clicks, the screen went black, and the unit has never worked since.
No smoke, smells, nothing.

I opened the case and found no burnt parts. This unit has a prior history
of developing bad solder joints. I look for those, didn't see any. With
power on, I do hear a faint click-click-click sound coming from the main
board, possibly near the flyback. I pulled the HOT and checked it with a
VOM. Surprisingly I find no shorts. I suspect a part opened up and the
resulting overvoltage is causing the power supply to cycle.
Now I need a schematic to go hunting.

With no nameplate, I had to look up the FCC ID. It was made by
Royal Information Electronics Co = Royal = RIC, a Taiwanese outfit.
Paper mail sent to their California address bounced. Another mail sent to
their Taipei HQ went ignored. Trying the web, searches mostly reveal Chinese-
language sites I can't read. The RIC site frequently disappears from the
Internet (host not found errors, no response timeouts, etc.) So getting a
service manual the normal way isn't going to work.

If anyone has a schematic, I'll be able to do something with this unit.

Here are the numbers for this unit:

19-inch monitor
Royal Information Electronics Co. Ltd., Taiwan
www.ric.com.tw
FCC ID = HSUTRLX-19
Chassis: X-19S-1 Rev 2.6 8/17/1998

Any help would be appreciated,

Jim Olson
Philadelphia, PA
Email:
(temporary email address, an anti-spam defense)