James Olson

Default Dead Royal HSUTRLX-19 monitor

I bought this 19-inch monitor from CompUSA in Jan 1999. A moderate PC user,
I frequently use Alt-Tab to flip between a 1280x1024 Windows desktop and a
DOS prompt. On that particular day in April 2003, I had the monitor on for
over an hour. I flipped from Windows to the DOS prompt, got the normal
relay clicks, the screen went black, and the unit has never worked since.
No smoke, smells, nothing.

I opened the case and found no burnt parts. This unit has a prior history
of developing bad solder joints. I look for those, didn't see any. With
power on, I do hear a faint click-click-click sound coming from the main
board, possibly near the flyback. I pulled the HOT and checked it with a
VOM. Surprisingly I find no shorts. I suspect a part opened up and the
resulting overvoltage is causing the power supply to cycle.
Now I need a schematic to go hunting.

With no nameplate, I had to look up the FCC ID. It was made by
Royal Information Electronics Co = Royal = RIC, a Taiwanese outfit.
Paper mail sent to their California address bounced. Another mail sent to
their Taipei HQ went ignored. Trying the web, searches mostly reveal Chinese-
language sites I can't read. The RIC site frequently disappears from the
Internet (host not found errors, no response timeouts, etc.) So getting a
service manual the normal way isn't going to work.

If anyone has a schematic, I'll be able to do something with this unit.

Here are the numbers for this unit:

19-inch monitor
Royal Information Electronics Co. Ltd., Taiwan
www.ric.com.tw
FCC ID = HSUTRLX-19
Chassis: X-19S-1 Rev 2.6 8/17/1998

Any help would be appreciated,

Jim Olson
Philadelphia, PA
Email:
(temporary email address, an anti-spam defense)
Bob Kos

A while back I was looking for info on an RIC monitor. I stumbled onto the
fact that a company called "Pixie" is either rebadging them or otherwise
remarketing them. The people at Pixie were very reachable, very nice, and
went out of their way to help me get the info I needed.

I don't know if they're still around or not. Might be worth a look for you.

"James Olson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

James Olson

"Bob Kos" wrote in message ink.net...
A while back I was looking for info on an RIC monitor. I stumbled onto the
fact that a company called "Pixie" is either rebadging them or otherwise
remarketing them. The people at Pixie were very reachable, very nice, and
went out of their way to help me get the info I needed.

I don't know if they're still around or not. Might be worth a look for you.

A web search revealed their corporate website to be www.pixie.com.
Going to that site takes you to a cyber-squatter company, so
apparently Pixie's domain has not been renewed. My guess is that
they're out of business.

If anyone reading this knows of a source for RIC schematics, please
post.

"James Olson" wrote in message
om...
I bought this 19-inch monitor from CompUSA in Jan 1999. A moderate PC

user,
I frequently use Alt-Tab to flip between a 1280x1024 Windows desktop and a
DOS prompt. On that particular day in April 2003, I had the monitor on for
over an hour. I flipped from Windows to the DOS prompt, got the normal
relay clicks, the screen went black, and the unit has never worked since.
No smoke, smells, nothing.

snip