The Cableguy

Default Yamaha KX-W421 cassette deck problem

Greetings,

Not sure if this is the right NG for this but anyway...

Folks, I had the good fortune to get a Yahama KX-W421 dual cassette deck in
the last 6 months brand new. (auto reverse) It's been working without a
hitch for that amount of time, but in the last week or so, a small problem
is plaguing Deck A.

What's happening is that during playback, the deck just stops playing. On
some tapes it goes for around 15 minutes before it stops or takes off in the
other direction. I've noticed that the right hand spool just quits while
playing which makes the tape spill out around the assembly and then stop. At
first I thought it might've been a problem in one of the pinch rollers, but
on closer investigation, the pinch roller continues as the spool stops which
then shuts the mechanism down. Another jump into play mode then seems to fix
it for a few minutes, until it happens again. Thinking I just had a flaky
tape I tried another - but the same thing happens. Deck B however doesn't
seem to have this problem.

Any ideas what could be wrong and is it an easy fix for this sort of thing?
Cleaned the pinch rollers as a matter of course, but the problem remains.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Mark
(cableguy)