Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Miter Saw Dust Collection Hoods?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 20:40:57 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 1/18/16 8:31 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 19:05:34 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

Since I don't have 2 grand to plonk down on a Festool Kapex and
Dust Extractor combination, I'm looking for recommendations from
anyone who's used either of the two canopy/hood type collectors
that attach to the saw and funnel the dust into its big bag.

Rousseau and Fastcap seem to be the only two out there. Anyone in
here have and use one of these? How pleased are you and how well do
they work?

I haven't used either of the two you referenced but I did design and
build my own out of plexiglass. Pictures are shown below.

http://s692.photobucket.com/user/dob...?sort=3&page=1

Sorry, I forgot to specify why I want one.
I'm looking for something very portable for use in clients' homes. My
situation in the shop is pretty well taken care of. But I have a crown
job coming up that's on the 3rd floor of a condo building. The client
says he'll put up plastic (nice of him!) but I want to minimize the dust.

That information is important. As I said, it works well and folds up
so it's fairly portable. The worry I'd have in your application is
that it has nooks and crannies between the steel ribs and covering
that sawdust gets into. You might drop dust out of it while setting
up or tearing down. Maybe if you put it in another plastic "envelope"
used for transport, it would minimize the problem.

BTW, I have the Dewalt saw stand and can't recommend it more highly.
It would be perfect for this application.

http://dewalt.com/tools/machinery-mi...ns-dwx723.aspx