Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default No power ...

Probably just needs a field reflash. A lot of cheap generators won't
come up under load and the process demagnetizes the field poles.

If your generator has slip rings, momentarily touch 12 volts from a
battery to the rings. Then start the generator with no load.

If there are no slip rings (harmonically excited field), rotate the
field so that it is directly under the stator pole pieces. Connect a
12 volt battery to the output for a second, breaking the connection
rapidly. An ignition condenser between the leads to be opened will
make the stator field collapse much faster which magnetizes rotor.

If your machine has brushes, taking the end plate off is a good time
to make sure one isn't stuck in its holder.

John

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 07:50:47 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

and my generator ain't working . Well , the power is back on now , but I
still don't know why the generator isn't putting out . Motor starts and runs
normally , but I'm not getting any power . Last time I checked it (couple of
months ago) everything was working fine but this morning at 3:00 it wasn't
I'll be opening up the control panel and taking the end cover off the
generator unit itself to see if there's anything I can see , maybe something
on the armature slip ring or something , maybe a loose wire . I'm open to
suggestions ...

John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com