Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default No power ...

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 07:50:47 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

and my generator ain't working . Well , the power is back on now
,
but I still don't know why the generator isn't putting out . Motor
starts and runs normally , but I'm not getting any power . Last
time
I checked it (couple of months ago) everything was working fine
but
this morning at 3:00 it wasn't ...
I'll be opening up the control panel and taking the end cover off
the generator unit itself to see if there's anything I can see ,
maybe something on the armature slip ring or something , maybe a
loose wire . I'm open to suggestions ...

Check the breaker, wires to the outlet on it you use regularly...
all
the simple stuff first and maybe the extension cord you tried using
with it.

My mind always goes to the worst, most complicated/expensive things
first but usually it is the really simple stuff that goes bad...

Breaker "feels" like it always did . I have a hookup to back feed
the main panel thru the shop sub , when I didn't get any power to
the shop I plugged a small heater unit directly into the generator
panel . This thing has less than 20 hours on it , it shouldn't be
giving me any problems . I'll be checking it out today , we never
know when we'll need it .
--
Snag

BTW , this is a B&S 5500W/8500W surge OHV unit I bought to replace
an identical one that was stolen , that one ran flawlessly for well
over a hundred hours with no maintainence but oil changes and
tightening an occasional loose bolt .

Early in my Army electronic training I learned to first look for loose
connections and continuity-check fuses or breakers. The instructors
heated and removed one end cap from AGC fuses and inserted paper with
"good fuse" on it, then replaced the caps. Naturally this broke the
fuse element, but the rolled paper concealed its absence.

I was the first to find it, then the instructor and I watched almost
everyone else examine and reinsert the bogus fuses and continue
troubleshooting.

Another trick was to insert a heavy but too-short piece of tinned bus
wire.

-jsw