Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/16/2016 2:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/16/2016 11:49 AM, Don Y wrote:
We don't know anyone who uses an eReader. We can try B&N to see if the
*concept* is something she can accept. But, would still need to
see what the relative differences are between different products
and manufacturers. E.g., the little nook that my friend had would
be VERY disappointing (poor contrast, flimsy, etc).

afaik, BestBuy and Staples both carry the Kindle line. BestBuy may have carried
the Nook but I think they dropped it. B&N dropped the ball on that one.

We sometimes visit OfficeMax (staples) so that's what I had in mind.
I tend to buy my thumb drives and toner carts there -- when I can
find a sale.

I don't know about the current generation but one thing that put me off
initially was the flash as the electrophoretic display refreshes. Flash isn't
quite the word since the display goes black. It's 500 msec, if that long but it
is noticeable when you first use an ereader. Like new shoes, you get used to
it. After all turning a physical page takes time but we're used to that.

Yes, I noticed that on my friend's nook. "Disturbing". Whether or not
it becomes *annoying* is a personal issue.

I've noticed some similar reaction with many of the new LED traffic
lights, here. Not sure if it is a deliberate feature (to draw
attention to the "change") or a visual artifact of the implementation.

(sigh) I guess I'd best get dressed for this "memorial service"...