Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/16/2016 1:39 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/16/2016 11:41 AM, Don Y wrote:
In each case, we've invested as much time as if we'd driven to
a local store, HANDLED the items ourselves to verify they are
exactly what we want, then driven home.

You've had a much different experience than I. I ordered three Photon
Microlights. Two were genuine but the third was a Chinese knockoff. It worked
but the LED color was bluer. I emailed Amazon and they refunded the price, told
me to keep the light. There was something that I returned but I can't remember
what it was. It was painless though. Get the RGA online, print the label, slap
it on the box, and throw it into the FedEx bin on my way to work.

I'm not claiming they were reluctant to accept the returns! But,
rather, that I *had* to make returns! I've now invested in a "shopping
experience" (finding the devices, ordering them, WAITING for delivery;
then having to UNDO all of these actions) -- with nothing to show for it!

I've just wasted my time and calendar time THINKING that I had "found"
the item that I wanted.

At a brick and mortar, I can see *THE* item that I will be taking home
with me. If it is incorrect or obviously defective, I can pick up
another. If I notice lots of defective items in that lot, I can
suspect that I might be UNHAPPY with this purchase, down the road.

If I walk into a HF, I can hold the utility knife I'm thinking of buying in
my hand and decide if I like the "feel". I can examine the fabrication
to decide if its shoddy or quality workmanship. I can test the edge of
the blade to see if it is nominally sharp or TRULY sharp (can't test its
hardness without damaging it). Then, evaluate the price and my expected
usage of *this* utility knife to decide if I want to complete the
transaction and live with the consequences.

Buy the same/cimilar knife online and the process starts *after*
it arrives at my doorstep. I've made *a* selection (don't order 5 different
styles to "try in the comfort of your own home") and now waited. With
no guarantee that the purchase will be over when it arrives. Indeed,
the return process may just be starting! :

That's two instances I remember out of many orders. The UPS driver knows me
very well. This week I got 4 separate deliveries. LR44 batteries, 2016
batteries, a Silky Gomboy pruning saw, and 12 Clif Mojo bars. The batteries
were Everready and much cheaper than available locally, as were the bars. The
Silky would have been a special order.

From your past comments, you probably don't have a lot of LOCAL options
to buy those things? In a city of half a million -- in a metro area
of a million -- we have a fair bit more "local choices", I suspect.

[This is what I miss about Chitown and New England; even with the
1M here, its nothing compared to either of those areas! Heck, I could
visit the manufacturers, there!]