Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/16/2016 1:13 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/15/2016 11:01 PM, Don Y wrote:
When she's reading (leisure), the BOOK is in her lap on the couch,
in bed, etc. When not actively reading, the "novel du jour" sits
in a basket by the bed. She could conceivably store an ereader in
that same space when not in use. Charging would require some other
arrangement.

The pile by my bed includes the Kindle along with paper books, both from the
library and one's I've purchased.

Mine is lined with bookshelves (technical/reference literature).
I don't borrow "books" from the library (just DVD's).

But, she's likely to get frustrated, at some point, with the
experience. She was using a PDA (kept in her secretary) for
addresses and calendar. But, grew frustrated with ActiveSync's
flakey performance and opted to go back to paper and pencil.

My PDA is and always has been a spiral ring notebook small enough to slip in a
shirt pocket. I don't have that many addresses to keep track of, or anything
that passes for a calendar. At work I use the Thunderbird calendar which gives
me an alert so I can disappear before tedious meetings.

She liked the PDA when it worked reliably. But, when ActiveSync
started throwing fits and she could no longer keep a backup on
her laptop, she decided it wasn't worth the effort/risk.

I used to keep my address book on a PDA (not trusting an email
client as email is, by definition, on an "accessible" machine!).
But, as I moved away from snail mail and telephone contacts,
the utility dwindled. Now, I have a backup of the PDA on one
of my NetBSD boxes but, for the most part, don't fret the
street addresses, birthdates, driving directions, etc. that
are stored therein.

I've saved the PDA's, though, as they will eventually be used as
little BT "terminals" (small touch screen, convenient to keep
on a coffee table to interact with the automation system!).
Silly to try to *build* something in that form factor, cost, etc.

I have one TINY cell phone (WiFi/BT) that I will carry, from time
to time, to use as a portable terminal when interacting with diagnostic
services on certain devices. Tiny display is more convenient than
carrying a laptop for that purpose. (and, the diagnostic services
aren't written expecting bountiful display resources! :)