Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/16/2016 1:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/15/2016 08:41 PM, Don Y wrote:

The problem is you can't find *new releases* in the used book market.

Patience... I use Netflix and watch some of the cable TV programs on DVD so
for current shows I'm a year behind. One has to be careful to avoid spoilers.

She hears of titles that she will want to read -- from friends,
"the media", or referenced in other things she's reading.
Then, goes to the library's website to see if they have the
title. If so, places a hold and waits her turn -- never having
to remember she's done so (they remember *for* her!)

If they don't have it, she will try ILL (again through the
website) if it is an "old" title (ILL won't process "new"
titles). Again, the onus is again on the library to
remember this for her.

If too new for ILL (or, unobtainable), she'll "suggest a title
for purchase" which typically places her on the waiting list
for that title as a consequence of her suggestion.

So, for *print* material, the library proves to be an excellent
resource! Not only do they have (or get!) the materials, but
they also keep track of what they *should* be getting for you
thereby freeing you from remembering that you were looking/waiting
for a particular title.

For technical literature (article/journal reprints, etc.),
it provides the same sort of service for me (invariably, they
produce a paper document -- even if it had been transmitted
via facsimile). It's rare that they *can't* find something
but that I *could*; relatively common for them to find things
that I *can't* (cuz I don't have borrowing privileges at
the Las Vegas Public Library, etc.)

OTOH, when they exhaust their capabilities, I can still
dig deeper (e.g., writing directly to authors).

[I have to submit some FOIA requests for some other documents
I want/need -- no way the library would undertake that for me!]