Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/16/2016 9:07 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/16/2016 1:03 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 1/15/2016 9:19 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/15/2016 12:10 PM, Don Y wrote:
Thanks, Susan, I'll chase down the links and see if it helps me
sort out the "mess". I suspect SWMBO won't be happy with *any*
of these options ("Why can't I just have a BOOK??!")

300 books in a Kindle are very easy to dust... And she'll have enough
room on
the shelves for knick knacks rather than trying to stuff books in two
deep and
make structural improvements when the shelves start to sag too badly.

I repeat, she's only looking for this to read LIBRARY BOOKS.
You don't have to store -- or DUST -- books that are only
in your house for a couple of weeks! :

Sounds like you should stick with real books then. No sense spending money for
the reader and then buying books if she is only going to read books from the
local library. Both Nook and Amazon prime have freebies, but mostly older
books. If she is reading two books a month from the local free library that
could translate to $20 a month to buy them.

If they are new releases, they tend not to be inexpensive. Then she's got
two books she'll have to donate?

In your case, I'd borrow a reader from a friend for a couple of hours to see if
she would like to handle it at all. Or stop at a Barnes & Noble store to
handle one. It has to be her choice if she is going to like it. From things
I've read and heard over the past couple of years, the split is maybe 80-20 on
the like/dislike.

We don't know anyone who uses an eReader. We can try B&N to see if the
*concept* is something she can accept. But, would still need to
see what the relative differences are between different products
and manufacturers. E.g., the little nook that my friend had would
be VERY disappointing (poor contrast, flimsy, etc).

[She's moved away in the years since then]