Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default eReader options

On 1/15/2016 9:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 01/15/2016 10:11 AM, Don Y wrote:

Sheesh! I think I have 10-15 year old PDAs with screens bigger than that!

I've never noticed a limitation. My tablet's screen is and inch longer and 1/8
narrower for 7" diagonal. The problem you get into is the overall size. Back
when we started to develop a tablet product I spec'ed out a couple of Acer 10"
tablets for the programmers on the project. The selling point was the charger
was a separate connection so you could leave it on the wall wart and use the
USB port for the debugging interface.

After working with them, I walked across the street to BestBuy and bought an
almost identical tablet but in the 7" form factor. I realize that if I was
going to hump around a 10" tablet I might as well bring the 13" Win7 notebook
with the real keyboard. I can slip a 7" tablet, or the almost identically sized
Kindle into a cargo pocket.

Phones have been through the same thing. The postage stamp sized display is
awkward, so they started to grow up to the phablet class with 5 to 7" screens.

It's all about being mobile and if you can't reasonably stick it in a pocket or
purse it's a problem.

Neither of us is looking for "portable" more than "living room, bedroom,
or office". We don't travel anymore. In the past, if I traveled, I'd
pack a large "aircraft carrier" laptop (small displays and small
keyboards are irritating). SWMBO would pack a *tiny* laptop in
her travels to economize on space in her luggage (she would only use
it to stay connected to her email).

When I reference stuff in my archive, the tablet PC just frees me from
sitting at a "PC" (even laptops create the "desktop" style interface).
Standardizing on PDF's means I can also reference those same documents
when "working" at a desktop/laptop -- without having to deal with an
assortment of formats.

When she's reading (leisure), the BOOK is in her lap on the couch,
in bed, etc. When not actively reading, the "novel du jour" sits
in a basket by the bed. She could conceivably store an ereader in
that same space when not in use. Charging would require some other
arrangement.

But, she's likely to get frustrated, at some point, with the
experience. She was using a PDA (kept in her secretary) for
addresses and calendar. But, grew frustrated with ActiveSync's
flakey performance and opted to go back to paper and pencil.