Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default I'll add my ignorant question

amdx wrote:
I have one of the Harbor Freight 7 x 10 lathes.
I have a bicycle seat post that I want to reduce the diameter by 0.025".
The spindle head is to small to accept the post, the bed is to short to
use the tail stock.
Any clever ideas how I could use this lathe to do the job. The post is
aluminum.
I took it to a machine shop, he laughed and said, "I've already spent
more time on this than the part is worth."

Mikek

Chuck up one end, Pull the tail stock and bolt it to a riser block so it
is centered. Chunk of 4X4 would likely do the job. Turn to the mid
point. Reverse the post and turn the remainder.

--
Steve W.