Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I'll add my ignorant question

On 2016-01-12, amdx wrote:

I have one of the Harbor Freight 7 x 10 lathes.
I have a bicycle seat post that I want to reduce the diameter by 0.025".
The spindle head is to small to accept the post, the bed is to short to
use the tail stock.
Any clever ideas how I could use this lathe to do the job. The post is
aluminum.

Is it hollow, or solid? And if hollow -- how thick are the
walls? If you remove 0.025" diameter, will it be strong enough?

How long is the post? I presume that you mean that it will fit
into the chuck, but not into the spindle. If it under 10" OAL, can you
mount it between centers?

Or do you have a steady rest for the lathe? If so, you might be
able to hold it in the chuck and support near where the diameter reduces
and turn that which sticks out.

Or -- find someone local to you who has a larger lathe as a
hobby operation, rather than for income. (A clue as to where you live
-- general region, not street address -- might get someone nearby
responding. You may need to at least offer a non-spam-proofed address
in your posting to allow direct communications.

I took it to a machine shop, he laughed and said, "I've already spent
more time on this than the part is worth."

That's the problem with a commercial shop which has plenty of
business. If times were slow, they might have taken it on, just to keep
doing something.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--