Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Turning a pipe without a lathe

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:14:19 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 4:30:25 PM UTC-6, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:07:15 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 12:10:49 PM UTC-6, stryped wrote:
I am thinking of concerting my table top drill press into a floor press by replacing the round column with a taller one. I can get a pipe that is close to the same size in stainless, but I would need to somehow turn the ends down where they fit into the top and base approximately .001 to .002.

Any ideas on how this could be done without a lathe?

It does not have a geard rack as a lot of them do. The table slides up and down on the shaft freely then tightens via a clamp by hand if that makes sense.

My floor model Walker Turner works the same way. Watch your feet! g

No, I do not have a lathe. I am sorry I don't or if this is an over simplistic question. My first thought was to use my belt sander on the ends of the pipe or a sanding disc on my die grinder. However, the reason for my question was in case someone on here had a better idea I had not thought of that would allow me to get a more even thickness that a sander without risking making the ends flat instead of round.

Belt sander, fine grit, go easy. Better yet, open up the sockets to
fit the post. You can use a piece of wood with emery cloth wrapped
around it. Don't taper it!

(Why did you bother with stainless??)

My dad works for a pool supplier and can get it in stainless.

What's the wall thickness? My guess is it is too light for the job at
hand. Drill press column is generally pipe (or DOM tubing with
substantial thickness) not thinwall tubing as used for pool fittings.