Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Turning a pipe without a lathe

On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:10:45 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

I am thinking of concerting my table top drill press into a floor press by replacing the round column with a taller one. I can get a pipe that is close to the same size in stainless, but I would need to somehow turn the ends down where they fit into the top and base approximately .001 to .002.

Any ideas on how this could be done without a lathe?

If you can get the pipe in SS then why can't you get it in regular
steel? The SS must be expensive. Instead of trying to take the
material off of the tube why not instead use a cylinder hone to open
up the holes the pipe must fit in to? I bet it would be faster. More
likely to end up with something round too.
Eric