Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Turning a pipe without a lathe

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 4:30:25 PM UTC-6, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2016 14:07:15 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 12:10:49 PM UTC-6, stryped wrote:
I am thinking of concerting my table top drill press into a floor press by replacing the round column with a taller one. I can get a pipe that is close to the same size in stainless, but I would need to somehow turn the ends down where they fit into the top and base approximately .001 to .002.

Any ideas on how this could be done without a lathe?

It does not have a geard rack as a lot of them do. The table slides up and down on the shaft freely then tightens via a clamp by hand if that makes sense.

My floor model Walker Turner works the same way. Watch your feet! g

No, I do not have a lathe. I am sorry I don't or if this is an over simplistic question. My first thought was to use my belt sander on the ends of the pipe or a sanding disc on my die grinder. However, the reason for my question was in case someone on here had a better idea I had not thought of that would allow me to get a more even thickness that a sander without risking making the ends flat instead of round.

Belt sander, fine grit, go easy. Better yet, open up the sockets to
fit the post. You can use a piece of wood with emery cloth wrapped
around it. Don't taper it!

(Why did you bother with stainless??)

My dad works for a pool supplier and can get it in stainless.