Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Turning a pipe without a lathe

On 01/11/2016 12:10 PM, stryped wrote:
I am thinking of concerting my table top drill press into a floor
press by replacing the round column with a taller one. I can get a pipe
that is close to the same size in stainless, but I would need to somehow
turn the ends down where they fit into the top and base approximately
.001 to .002.

Before going ahead, best check the table clamp will work ok with the
larger diameter or you'll be needing to do the whole length (or at least
as much as you intend to actually use).

I'd think you'd probably be better off just adding the lower section to
the existing unless you really think you need that full height for the
table (but virtually no floor models actually have the length of the
post more than half the actual total length, anyway)?

And, you may need some more heft for the rigidity, anyway...