Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Gasoline prices have come down, but not motor oil prices.

On 1/8/2016 1:27 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 4:29:32 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
A quart of name brand 5W30 is still about $2.25, and has not come down
as crude prices have fallen. I realize that crude is just a small part
of the cost of producing motor oil, but apparently it does not respond
to decreases in crude prices at all.

Soon I will have to do some 0W-20 oil changes and that costs about $6
per quart.

You're buying gasoline in bulk out of the underground tanks, while the oil has to be packaged in quart containers, which takes extra labor and materials, adding costs and hence price.

True, but the cost of those quart bottles of motor oil has increased
significantly, with the justification being the higher cost of the raw
material. Not that long ago, a quart of oil was about $1.00 to $1.25
when bought in a case of 12, on sale. Now it's about $2.25.