Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forge blower repairs

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
Interesting ... but hard to use in this application . I've been out
in the shop making a new shaft for the hand crank . The shaft runs
in the cast housing and is badly worn . The new shaft is a tad
larger in diameter , I have reamed the housing to clean up the holes
and fit the shaft to it . I'll turn the crank end down to fit the
crank and bore the gear out approx. .030" to get a very light press
fit so the keyway won't wear too much . Which reminds me , I need to
order an 1/8" end mill , the only ones I have on hand are ball end .

--
Snag

I spent the morning fitting an oilite bushing and close-fitting pivot
pin in the worn traction control handgrip of my newly acquired 1995
snowthrower.

Is there a preferred way to repair and perhaps improve a worn control
shaft pivot in outdoor equipment? This thing had a few Nyliner flanged
bushings which disintegrated but mostly mild steel shafts running in
punched holes in sheet metal, with little hope of lubrication. Since
the holes tend to wear oval they can't always be drilled larger
without moving. In this case the handgrip was small enough to clamp
and bore in the mill and the snap clip on the pivot pin will retain
the bushing if it loosens.

-jsw