Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forge blower repairs

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
I started today by sleeving the worn end section of the fan shaft .
Some here may recall I was asking about helical gears . Well , I'm
not sure how much wear is actually on this gear , but we ain't
replacing it . It is an integrally machined part of the fan shaft ,
so there's no way to replace it without replacing the shaft - and
that part ain't available .
ANYway , the end of the shaft that carries the thrust bearing - a
ball in the end of the shaft - was worn , nominal is .500" and it
was under .450" , so I machined it down to just over .4375 and
pressed/loctited (red) a .625" OD/.4375" ID sleeve over it .
The fan end is worn about .010 under , I'm not sure yet what I'm
going to do with it . Probably clean it up with the minimum amount
removed , then make a new bushing and sleeve the fan itself .
The rest of the blower seems to be in pretty good shape aside from
worn keyways . Those will probably get cleaned up and have new
oversize keys fitted . The only restriction placed on this project
is that he doesn't want the original patina disturbed . He wants it
left rusty on the outside . Works for me ...
I don't think he plans on using this much , but a hand cranked
forge blower could come in handy ...
--
Snag

I recently discovered the snowthrower impeller shaft bearing, a
compact and inexpensive self-aligning bronze bushing that could be
useful for repairs or cobbling up machinery from scrap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/4010466...chn=ps&lpid=82

-jsw