Rein Wiehler

Default Siemens Gigaset 2420 Display problem

Michael Drum wrote:

Hi Gang,

I've got a Siemens Gigaset 2420 phone and the
LCD display is missing segments. It looks like
a jigsaw puzzle trying to read it. Otherwise,
the phone works fine. I love the phone and
want to keep it. I know if could be a display
driver, or the display itself. I am willing to
buy a new display if someone could clue me in to
who I can turn to for parts. I beleive Siemens
has discontinued these phones for a newer model,
and I'm not sure they would be willing to sell me
the part even if they did have it. I think Sohnen
is doing repairs, but they won't sell parts.

Anyone know how to get a replacement display for
these phones? Also, I took the phone apart to see
if contact pressure around the display would
resolve the issue since I have seen many LCD display
connection problems, but that seemed ok. Why is it
that LCD displays always seem to be attached with
an adhesive type ribbon cable? Is there a law against
soldering these things or what??

Any help would be appreciated. I would also be willing
to buy a parts phone if someone has one.

Thanks,

Mike

you can not solder wires to the etched connectors on the glass surface
of the display itself. tried it.
rw