Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wylfa detail

On 04/01/16 23:00, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 22:38:30 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

The first requirement then is that only 11% of our power use occurs
during the hours of darkness. That seems pretty unlikely to me.

Energy can be stored, in various ways.

Care to elaborate on that?

And in particular elaborate on the ways enough energy can be stored to
be realistically useful, bearing in mind that the best method of
storing 'electricity' (actually, potential energy) in the UK is the
Dinorwig pumped storage system, and that can only store and supply
approximately 10GWh (1.7GW for 6 hours) before it goes 'flat'*, where
the UK average daily consumption is approximately 840GWh (35GW for 24
hours).

The trouble is, the people who advocate all these renewable forms of
energy have absolutely no concept of the magnitude of the numbers
involved. They think that a few rechargeable scaled-up torch batteries
is all that's needed to store the stuff.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_Power_Station

Its more easily expresseed in the following statement:

"Greeny lefty****s don't 'do' sums".

And in fact the tendency has apparently been part of humanity since at
least medieaval times since the fable of the belling of the cat makes
it quite clear that stupid prats have been with us a long time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling_the_cat

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx