Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Failure ...

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 14:41:22 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
The problem is that I can't get anything to stick to this stuff . Won't
puddle under the TIG torch , just sizzles away . Brazing rod won't stick ,
MIG won't stick . Invar 42 (42% nickel) won't wet it . Cast iron strips cut
from an old casting won't stick .

When I was investigating Forney Nomacast rods several guys mentioned
that it worked okay with pretty dirty/oily cast iron items. Like I said,
no experience with it, just what I picked up reading what others had to
say. It's in a class all by itself. Several big name rod makers have
similar, if not the same. It's not expensive...

Don't use cast iron scabs. You already determined that won't work. Use
something else, steel, stainless steel... and form the scab around the
grate. Weld the scab closed surrounding/encircling the cracked grate
area. It won't be pretty but should hold okay.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b