Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodburner glass

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 22:45:02 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

*They wanted to see if I could bend the woodburner glass to shape

for
them - for use in fancy woodburners. The glass didn't cooperate,

and I
chickened out at 950 centrigade - normal stained / window glass

bends
quite happily below 800c!

For the ceramic glasses, I suspect you need to go over 2000C. They
are used for discharge lamp arc tubes which run red-hot for years
whilst maintaining internal pressure.

Arc lamps with a burn time of years? But yes they do get flippin hot
and you really don't want to be any where near one when it lets go.
Same goes for halogen filament lamps. Getting deafened and showered
by visibly glowing red hot lumps of high velocity glass is not to be
recomended. The safety glass or lens doesn't always contain the
explosion...

--
Cheers
Dave.