Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woodburner glass

In article ,
Adrian Brentnall writes:
On 02/01/2016 16:25, newshound wrote:
I have a cracked pane on my generic chinese woodburner. I see that there
are eBay suppliers who offer "cut to size", but if it is cheaper to buy
a standard size am I likely to have any trouble cutting it down? I'm not
an expert but I have cut a bit of window glass over the years.

Presumably it is borosilicate or other low expansion glass?

It is very low expansion, but not borosilicate which softens at too
low a temperature. There are a few makes, but they are all basically
a transparent ceramic, and can operate well over 1000C.

I've not seen much of the woodburner glass, but the pieces that my local
glazing supply people gave me to play with* cut the same as the glass I
use for stained and/or fused glass. Perhaps needed a bit more pressure
to actually break along the score (the stuff I was given was thicker
than standard window-glass) - but if you've cut glass before you should
be OK.

*They wanted to see if I could bend the woodburner glass to shape for
them - for use in fancy woodburners. The glass didn't cooperate, and I
chickened out at 950 centrigade - normal stained / window glass bends
quite happily below 800c!

For the ceramic glasses, I suspect you need to go over 2000C. They
are used for discharge lamp arc tubes which run red-hot for years
whilst maintaining internal pressure.

--
Andrew Gabriel