Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Diffferent techniques in troubleshooting

For me, it is purely a hobby, with the occasional household appliance or vehicular item intruding on occasion. So 'production' is not an issue, and unless I see my worth, as it were, at very little, spending 12 hours and $20 in parts restoring a pre WW2 Hallicrafters ot 5 hours & $10 on a Dynaco ST120 is a fool's game were it not a hobby. But, as therapy, and as a source of quiet satisfaction, it is unsurpassed.

I tend to be fairly methodical, diagnostics, the repair based on same. Then about a 12-hour burn to make sure whatever it is is actually ready for polite society. No beancounters, no cost limits - a 'bulk' purchase might be 100 very common-value caps, or 20 common transistors, which might last a couple of years.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA