Jeff

Default Identifying non-electrolytic capacitors?

I would like to think I know what I am doing BUT I
keep saying things that I have done that make no sense.
ITS a CAPEHART unit! troubleshoot it to the problem
or give it to someone who can.(If it has one)
NEW it had poor sound quality OLD and used I would
expect it to be worse.
Changing every single part in it may fix it or it may not!
Pick an area and start changing resistors and or capacitors is not a method
of repair or troubleshooting
it is barely even educated guesswork as you have applied
it.
Is the load (the speakers) the same it was designed for?
Like 10W max.(maybe 20W) @ 8 ohm.
Are you exceeding its rated output?
Have you made any measurements at all?
Have you any published specs on the unit?
Have you tried bypassing the tone controls?
Anything that makes any sense at all?
And not a mention of a model number in case someone
on this group may have a schematic on it.(like SAMS)
Jeff

"anamouse" wrote in message

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:52:01 +0000, Laurence Payne
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:19:13 -0800, anamouse
wrote:

Can someone help me identify these capacitors?

I have posted pictures of them he
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~circu...apacitors.html

These are on the tonal board of a 1974 Capehart stereo. The bass has

always
been a bit distrorted, more so when the bass is turned up. It's not very

bad,
but annoying enough.

My questions are, what type of capacitors are these, and how do I

identify what
their ratings are?

What makes you think these capacitors are the source of your problem?

Laurence, I have already replaced all the electrolytic capacitors, as

well as
the carbon composition resistors, on the main circuit board. I originally

did
this because of the age of the radio. The sound quality was the same

before the
recap, though, so I am sure the recap did not introduce the bass problem.

I'd be looking in the power amp section, or maybe the power supply.