Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Car Battery boost

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 18:57:28 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 12/30/2015 5:26 PM, Eagle wrote:
After serious thinking Stormin Mormon wrote :
On 12/30/2015 3:01 PM, Eagle wrote:
What do you recomend for a dead batery booster?

I mean car a battery. I have a cheap charger, but that thing seems to
not work very well. I was checking battery boosters and chargers and see
that the tech has improved drastically from a large wheeled box to a
small lithium box you can carry around in the glove box.

I've found in general there are three kinds of
booster.

One, I'd call a charger. Plugs into extension
cord, and changes 110 VAC to 12 VDC. Those
range from float chargers to wheeled charger
and booster.

Second, commonly called jumper cables. These
use a running vehicle to provide battery power
to a vehicle with low or dead battery.

Third is what I personally call a booster. Has
a battery of its own. Clips to the car battery.
The internal battery needs to be charged between
uses (and on occasion as they go dead from the
passage of time).

That said, I've tried three battery boosters. One
from Harbor Freight didn't work, and got returned.
One from BJ's Wholesale Club had a battery that
went dead, and I was able to buy another battery.
Years later, a third battery.

The more expensive (About $100) from Napa booster
pack is on its first battery, and should still work
fine.

As to the lithium cell boosters, I've never used one,
and can't comment on them.

Well, guys, here is what Pat Goss and George Kurkowski have to say on
this topic...

http://www.motorweek.org/features/go...y-jump-starter