Ian Barr

Default Identifying non-electrolytic capacitors?

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:19:13 -0800, anamouse wrote:

Can someone help me identify these capacitors?

I have posted pictures of them he
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~circu...apacitors.html

These are on the tonal board of a 1974 Capehart stereo. The bass has
always
been a bit distrorted, more so when the bass is turned up. It's not very
bad,
but annoying enough.

My questions are, what type of capacitors are these, and how do I
identify what
their ratings are?

What is the difference between the orange types shown, and the green ones
shown?

What I could find, I think K and M are supposed to mean their tolerance.
With K
= 10% and M = 20%. Is this correct?

For the ones with the minus or dash symbol inside a circle, does the
minus/dash
mean something? What about the letters of R (C1,2) and N (C11,12)?

The parts have the following information on them:

C1, C2: 473M
100 - R (the minus sign is inside a circle, as shown in the
pictures) These are orange capacitors.

C3, C4: .015
100 (?) Not sure what the (?) is. I think on one it looks
like a
7 but I could be wrong. These are green capacitors.

C5, C6: 222K These are orange capacitors.

C7,C8: I wasn't able to access these. These are also orange capacitors
and look
similar in size to C5, C6.

C9,C10: 50V - 1K These are green capacitors, fatter then C3, C4.

C11,C12: 223M
50 - N These are orange capacitors, with the minus or
dash
sign inside a circle, as shown in the pictures.

Thanks for all who can help me deciper and understand the code!

C1, C2 0.047uF or 47000pF 100v (uF=microfarad pF=picofarad)

C3, C4 0.015uF or 15000pF 100v

C5, C6 2200pF no voltage shown probably 50v or 100v

C7, C8 ?? ??

C9, C10 0.001uF or 1000pF 50V

C11, C12 0.022uF or 22000pF 50V

The letters are indeed the tolerances - just use 5% replacement and you
won't go wrong.

Whether this fixes your problem is another matter.

--
Ian Barr

Kick the cat to reply