Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default hiring someone to sell equipment

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Gunner Asch wrote:

Hence the term "auction fever"..when your brains leak down your leg
and you bid stupid amounts of money for Stuff. The auctioneer can
always take it to the next auction if his shill ****s up.

Ah...Ive played that game for customers for years. Gets em more money
for their goods. One simply has to read the customers and get a feel
for the dumb ones. Which is why they usually..usually sell the small
stuff first.,.or some of the small stuff first...shrug.

Most of the time the customers are thinking rational
humans..occasionally you will spot a nitwit..

Thats why the sellers pay commisions...shrug again.

I was at the auction of a failed electronics surplus store, years
ago. I saw a Gaylord full of small IBM monitors for bank terminals. The
opening bid was $1, so I bid on it. then someone raised it to $2. Then I
realized it wasn't just the one Gaylord, it was an entire tractor
trailer load of old bank equipment. The other guy won it for $32, and
then he had to make over a dozen trips to pick it all up. ;-)

I found out later that it was all defective, and from a repair
company that had went bankrupt. The auctioneer had slipped it into the
auction for the surplus store. I did get four nice workbenches for $12,
and some industrial shelving for $5.

I attended an auction back in the 1980's where the auctioneer sold a trailer
full of oil filled capacitors (PCB) to an uneducated buyer. As I understand
it
that was a popular way of disposing of toxic waste back then.

Best Regards
Tom.