Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default hiring someone to sell equipment

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 16:03:21 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 02:11:14 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 12:21:09 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 00:30:14 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 01:38:13 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 12/27/2015 7:00 AM, Steve W. wrote:

Actually there is a market for the shafting but probably not a ton of
money. There are quite a few folks out there setting up line shaft
driven shops and museums. The problem is getting the info out.

What is the Bridgeport? 3phase? Tooling?

The BP is my pride and Joy! 3-ph, 2hp. variable speed. Pretty complete
R-8 tooling, XY DRO, power x. One shot oiler. Like new, not a scratch
(almost)

So take it home and use it in your home shop. Put in your will Roger
gets it when you "loose interest"

Most they are worth is about $5-7k in good condition..at best. And at
an auction..probably about half that..at most.

Most..most auctions are held for dealers..who pay much less than full
market value so they can sell at market value +/- and make a living.
Id never pay full boat for a piece of machinery. Ever.

Gunner
But if a hobyist (or 2) was at the same auction you wouldn't get it
either. I've seen "home shop compatible" equipment bir up to almost
new list at auctions in my area. There is a local auction place that
sells fleet vehicles, banctrupt business eqipment and stock, recovered
goods from the PD, equipment from local school boards etc - and very
little machine tool equipment goes cheap.

Most...most of that is due to location. Frankly...some places one can
get a lathe/mill/drill press very cheaply..others..they can go high as
hell.

Here in California, where manufacturing is fleeing the state..but is
close to Mexico..machine tools will sell rather low if they are
vintage, but semi modern CNC will sell higher than one would expect as
they are taken south to Mexico where there is a bigger more vibrant
market.

Gunner

Same thing here - lots of businesses closing down (big business) but
lots of small business strting up - lots of high tech - and quite a
few "farm based businesses" - making things like bolts for Ford - - -
and anything else you can imagine.

But the reasons are different for California and Canada. The Canadian
automotive Tier 1 and Tier 2 manufacturers got caught in a double
bind. Part of it was the recession and part was the bargains made with
the unions here in the US. The US car makers had to bring some of
their part-making and subassembly work back to the US to compensate
for the unions' give-backs. So Canada is doing more Tier 3 work now.
That's the smaller contract job shops.

That's all in general -- mostly GM, in fact. Ford is a little
different. I have some research lined up to do on Ford this coming
spring.

--
Ed Huntress