Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 125v vs. 117v revisited

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 4:38:32 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 1:09:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 09:11:44 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I was thinking if this problem or voltage difference just showed up recently, it's time he gave the engineering dept at his power company a call. I called them before when a commercial customer was having a problem and they sent a tech out to install monitoring equipment that showed a problem that was intermittent. It was a problem on a pole a mile away.

You are trying to tell us that a PoCo had over a mile of "secondary"
wiring. I don't think so. The transformer that takes the medium
voltage distribution down to the service voltage is usually within a
hundred feet of the service point.
The 120/240 or 120/208 will come from that transformer bundle if it
isn't coming from a customer owned SDS.
I would agree that a problem in their primary could cause bad voltages
but all of them would be bad in the same direction (GIGO)

The problem wasn't with the transformer at the first customer location. The power company rep said they repaired a bad connection on a pole a mile away. Was the rep telling me the truth or just telling me something? The second customer did have the transformer on the pole behind his business blow. I didn't see it but I imagine it was loud and doubt it resembled a 500lb bomb blast. The power company did replace that transformer. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Blast Monster

I agree with Gfre. A line problem a mile away can cause problems,
but it can't cause the problem this poster is having. His problem
is between his house and the transformer. And the stepdown transformer
is typically within a few hundred feet.

The obvious thing to do here is verify that the imbalance exists
at the service feed at the panel and if so, then call the power
company.