Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Gallery of Fluid Motion

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:58:07 -0800, wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:47:04 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 17:07:50 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 12/28/2015 1:50 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
Here's some idle entertainment. This is a collection of videos from
the American Physical SSociety, Division of Fluid Dynamics. Scroll
down the page; it goes on and on.

Some of it is stills, but the videos are very cool.

http://gfm.aps.org/

The humming birds! How cool! I have a neighbor that's fed them for
years from a feeder on our property line and attracts a bunch of them
into our Hawthorn tree and even to flowers on a table I am sitting at.
I've seen as many as a dozen at a time. They are like big insects and
make quite a racket buzzing around. Their coloring is diverse and just
beautiful! So to me, the video was most appreciated.

I love to watch them, too. We've had some here whenever we grow
foxgloves, and I've been trying to get good photos of them without
much luck.

Greetings Ed,
Forty some years ago my mom set up a camera to take hummingbird
photos. We had a feeder on the porch and my mom used a tripod to hold
the camera close to it. She then just left it there and the birds got
used to it. Then she used the cable remote to trigger the camera while
she sat near the feeder. Got some great photos showing the wings in
different positions. If you get the birds used to you being around
they get quite brave. Last summer I had one fly up to me and stop
about 6 inches from my nose. He was so close I couldn't quite focus on
him. And friend of mine had one get trapped in his house because it
couldn't find the way out. He put his finger out like a perch and the
bird perched on it. He then just carried it to the doorway and the
bird flew out.
Eric

Ho-ho! That's funny. They are brave little critters.

You give me some encouragement to try again, Eric. I've been trying
with a long telephoto on my Sony NEX-7 digital camera, but it has no
provision for a cable release. I could either spring for a radio
release or use one of my film cameras with a *long* air-bulb release
(I think it's 12 feet) that I used with my view camera.

One way or another, I'd love to get some photos of them.

--
Ed Huntress