Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default 125v vs. 117v revisited

On 12/27/2015 10:32 PM, IGot2P wrote:
Took some time this evening and checked the voltage on several outlets in my
shop and to my surprise I found several at 117v and several at 125v. Then I
noticed that the difference voltages were on different circuits. Then taking a
look at the breaker box I noticed that each 125v would be directly across from
another 125v breaker and the same for the 117v circuits.

Well, that gave me a good clue as to what was happening so I opened the box and
took a look and checked some voltages. I took a picture, added the voltages to
it, and uploaded it to one of my domains at
http://www.dongares.com/breaker.html so go and take a look.

As I have previously mentioned in an earlier post this is a sub-panel which is
supplied from the main panel in my home via a 100 amp breaker. I have not taken
time to check but I am almost willing to bet that I find different voltages in
my home also. It is going to be interesting to see if what I am getting from
the street to my home is also different voltages...how you want to bet?

The home was built in 1993 and these differences have never caused a problem
but it will still be interesting to see what is actually happening.

Do the *easy* things, first.
- measure at the *main* panel
- measure at the subpanel (already done)
- open the disconnect at the subpanel and remeasure at the main panel
Assuming this isolates the problem to the subpanel:
- remove individual loads from the subpanel (open breakers) and measure

Take good notes.

You should be able to diagnose the problem just from these observations.