Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 125v vs. 117v revisited

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 06:56:54 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 2:09:38 AM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 12:27:23 AM UTC-6, Micky wrote:
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 23:32:35 -0600, IGot2P
wrote:

Took some time this evening and checked the voltage on several outlets
in my shop and to my surprise I found several at 117v and several at
125v. Then I noticed that the difference voltages were on different
circuits. Then taking a look at the breaker box I noticed that each 125v
would be directly across from another 125v breaker and the same for the
117v circuits.

I say you're getting 8 volts for free and you shouldn't complain.

If you really can't use them, you might even be able to sell these 8
volts. It's a shame you didn't post before Xmas because that's when
people are spending money, but you probably only lost 20% or so.

If you're in a hurry, or don't want strangers coming to your home,
contact an electricity wholesaler.

There was a time when you could purchase storage containers for excess voltage at any hardware store but the things were pulled off the market for safety reasons because overfilling caused explosions of the containers after owners tampered with the safety devices. ?.?

[8~{} Uncle Punny Monster

The root cause of the overfilling is known as the "ice cream and
mayonnaise syndrome".

Similar to the shrinkage of product container sizes without a
corresponding reduction in price, the excess voltage containers
used to hold up to 10 volts but now only hold 6. People are ignoring
the labeling and trying to stuff more volts into the containers
than will fit, resulting in dangerous voltage leaks.

The current practice is to use electrical tape to try and prevent the
leaks. The inspectors get all amped up about this and are trying to
clamp down on the practice.

Cousin Shrinkage Monster

Actually they still sell them, but they are called rechargeable
batteries - or primary cells - but they have been proven not to work
very well at storing excess alternating current (AC) voltage.

When used contrary to the manufacturer's directions they fail
catastrophically and "let out the magic smoke"

A better alternative is to either "amp up" the low voltage side or
"clamp down" the high voltage side instead of "amping up" the
inspector (who should be wearing high voltage protective gear) or
"clamping down " on the practice - when it sounds like mabee he needs
more practice at his job - - - - -

Grampa Sparky Monster.