Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 125v vs. 117v revisited

On Monday, December 28, 2015 at 5:07:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 23:32:35 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

Took some time this evening and checked the voltage on several outlets
in my shop and to my surprise I found several at 117v and several at
125v. Then I noticed that the difference voltages were on different
circuits. Then taking a look at the breaker box I noticed that each 125v
would be directly across from another 125v breaker and the same for the
117v circuits.

Yep, one "LEG" is higher than the other.

Well, that gave me a good clue as to what was happening so I opened the
box and took a look and checked some voltages. I took a picture, added
the voltages to it, and uploaded it to one of my domains at
http://www.dongares.com/breaker.html so go and take a look.

As I have previously mentioned in an earlier post this is a sub-panel
which is supplied from the main panel in my home via a 100 amp breaker.
I have not taken time to check but I am almost willing to bet that I
find different voltages in my home also. It is going to be interesting
to see if what I am getting from the street to my home is also different
voltages...how you want to bet?

So why didn't you just go in the house and open the panel, and measure
the voltages on the MAINS. It would have only taken a few more minutes
to pop off that cover and measure it. [Before you posted this]. At least
then we would know for sure that your MAINS (directly from the meter)
are not balanced.

+1

Many posters suggested it could be a problem with either a loose neutral
on his side or the power company's side. Simple way to find out if it's
his side is to check at the incoming service at the main panel.