Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P[_3_] IGot2P[_3_] is offline

Default One circuit 125V, others 117V, why?

On 12/26/2015 3:12 PM, HerHusband wrote:
A 24 bulb tanning bed and each bulb is 110 watts. Kilowatt meter shows
it drawing 23.6 amps. Only motors are two very small muffin type fan
motors.

Does the tanning bed have a power usage plate on it somewhere?

If so, how much power does it say it's supposed to use?

No

Either way, 23+ amps is too much for a standard 20A circuit with 12 gauge
wire.

I realize that it is a bit too much for a standard 20 amp circuit and
#12 wire. In fact, I stated that in my first post. OTOH - it has been
working fine for over three years without even popping a 20 amp circuit
breaker until I switched outlets. I need to try it in other outlets on
other 20 amp circuits to see if by chance the breaker on the original
circuit might be bad. Of course I might just change breakers to check
the same thing.

Before next year's tanning season I no doubt will simply purchase a bed
that runs off of 220 and just put another outlet in the line that runs
to my 220 air air compressor as both will never be on at the same time.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com