Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Hysteresis on the Honeywell old-style bulb thermostat

Kirk Landaur wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 12:49:29 -0800, Uncle Monster wrote:

Inside you'll see a sliding resistor called an "Anticipator"
which provides a tiny amount of heat to fool the thermostat.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

Is this the anticipator?
http://i63.tinypic.com/280nvqs.jpg

Mine is currently set at 0.55 I think (if I'm reading the right thing).

Notice the distances get spread out non-linearly to the one end:
(1.2, 1.0, .9, .8, .7, .6, .5, .4, .3, .25, .2, .15, .12, .10)

It has a confusingly labeled slider that has "LONGER" and an arrow
indented on it.

The LONGER indent and the arrow fight each other.

On the one hand, the LONGER on one end *implies* that's the end
where the slider makes the hysteresis longer; but, on the other
hand, the arrow points in the opposite direction, which implies
the hysteresis is longer in the other direction?

Do you have experience with this confusing setup?

Mine is currently set to one side, but I want the hysteresis
to be greater.

To increase hysteresis, should I slide the slider toward LONGER?
Or should I slide the slider more towards the direction of the arrow?

General rule of thumb on anticipator is matching the number on dial same
as current draw on your gas valve. You can play with setting it
little higher or lower. I used to set it slightly higher than gas valve
rating considering the length of wiring from furnace to thermostat.
Again go digital.