Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P[_3_] IGot2P[_3_] is offline

Default One circuit 125V, others 117V, why?

On 12/26/2015 12:47 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 12:18:18 -0600, IGot2P
wrote:

(snipped)
A 24 bulb tanning bed and each bulb is 110 watts. Kilowatt meter shows
it drawing 23.6 amps. Only motors are two very small muffin type fan motors.

Is that on the 127v leg? Even so, that would still be over 22a on 121v
(what you should be seeing if the legs were balanced)

What kind of plug is on this thing? (what was it when you bought it)

The other posters are correct, it should be a 30a plug.

That was on the 125v outlet. The plug had a older standard 15 amp plug
on it but I recently changed it to a heavy duty 20 amp plug because the
old plug was getting a bit warm (not hot). The new plug stays very cool.
The interesting part is that the cord on the bed is only #12. This is an
older Sun Industries bed that we purchased used about three years ago
but it appears that the cord is definitely original as well as the
timer, fans, etc. Of course the bulbs had been replaced and had
approximately 300 hours on them when we got it.

Actually, the more I think about it and without going out and looking I
think that each bulb is only 105 watts but the two fans would be drawing
a little bit.

I will check the voltage of various outlets with a couple of my meters
and see if they match the Kilowatt meter. If they do I will check in the
box. I also have a clamp on meter that I can check and see how many amps
the whole thing is really drawing.

In the meantime I need to have lunch and then complete a few other
projects before these holidays are over.