Posted to alt.home.repair

Default One circuit 125V, others 117V, why?

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015 23:40:36 -0600, IGot2P
wrote:

On 12/25/2015 10:28 PM, Wild Bill wrote:
On 12/25/2015 10:31 PM, IGot2P wrote:
Approximately 8 years ago I built (with the help of a contractor) a
1,200 sq. ft. shop detached from our home (nice shop with central heat
and
air, half bath, hot water, etc.).

Our home has a 200 amp box so I simply put in a 100 amp breaker and
run it to a sub panel in the new shop which has a 100 amp breaker box.
Everything in both the shop and house has worked fine since the
beginning and still does but I did find something somewhat unique.

I have one item in the shop that draws 23+ amps on a 115 volt circuit
and to my surprise had never popped a 20 amp circuit breaker. All outlets
and lights are wired with #12 wire so I know that 23+ amps is a bit
too much but so be it. Well, I moved the item a small amount and
happened to
plug it into a different outlet which happened to be on a different
breaker and it popped the breaker after running for about 20 minutes.
Tried
it again and the same thing happened. Out of curiosity I checked the
voltage and that particular circuit (the one that the breaker pops on)
has
125 volts and all of the others run in the 115/117 range.

Anyone have a clue of how this could happen when they are all coming
out of the same box and are approximately the same distance from the box?

BTW - if you intended reply contains the word "code" or "insurance"
please don't post as it has nothing to do with my question.

Clare pegged it, You haver a loose neutral. Try checking it at the
main lugs. If it is bad there call the PoCo. If it is bad at your sub,
investigate your neutral connections or look for a serious load
imbalance.